A Few Recent Projects

3

September 19, 2012 by magpiemenina

Thought I’d share a few recent projects. I’ll be posting a how-to on making removable, cat-claw-proof barstool covers in the next few days, so please stop back!

Here’s a decorative couch pillow I made from a terribly ugly thrift store skirt (great fabric, just not for a skirt!). I cut the fabric to fit a 16×16 pillow form, coffee-dyed it, and sewed it up. To finish, I sewed large snaps on the bottom opening and made the flower from leather I cut out of a thrift store coat (you can guess where I do my shopping) and an antique brass button. To make the flower, cut a strip of leather and scallop the top edge. Do a loose running stitch along the bottom using a heavy-duty thread, then pull to gather. Place a few stitches to hold the gather, then stitch to the pillowcase. I sewed the leaves on by machine using a straight stitch and turning the fabric to make the veins. Be sure to use a machine needle made for leather or similarly heavy fabric!

Here’s a modified version of dress A from McCall’s pattern M6503. I left off the lapel ruffles (not being a ruffle type of person) and made the lapel folds of white fabric instead of the print. Also, for some reason I made the wrong size (one of those days!), so it was a tad too big. To remedy this, I pulled the excess in the front on either side of the midriff, stitched a line down, and sewed two hooks and eyes to hold it tight. I also added a snap on the lapel line to keep it closed. All in all, I am pleased with the effect and got some compliments in Charlottesville when I wore it this weekend.

 

Here’s a pillow I’ve been planning for years. The image is a remnant of a favorite t-shirt from a number of years ago. I’ve always been drawn to religious iconography of all kinds. Again, I coffee-dyed the t-shirt image, zig-zag stitched it to this fabulous stylized basket fabric I had left over from a clutch I made a while ago, and sewed three vintage buttons on the corner. This pillow is 14×14.

3 thoughts on “A Few Recent Projects

  1. lornagoode says:

    These look great!
    The dress looks gorgeous, well done

  2. magpiemenina says:

    Thanks very much, and thanks for stopping by!🙂

  3. […] version B/D (pleated). I’ve made that entire pattern before (you can see the finished project here). Lapels and buttons were in order for this dress, though, so I used Simplicity 1880 pattern for […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Archives

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of fun new posts by email.

Join 56 other followers

Categories

%d bloggers like this: