We’ve been so busy outside I’ve hardly been online! We’ve been making a raised bed garden and an elaborate home for our nine chickens, who we got in March. I’m finally ready to share some pictures!
The chickens, back in March. Aren’t they cute?
Jaybird wielding his tool of choice.
The floor supports and walls on their way up
Getting the roof up there
Ingrid and Egg Capone, the rooster, happily roaming.
All the chickens, checking out the verge. We have three Barred Plymouth Rocks (Agnes, Edith, and Agatha)- they are absolutely delightfully friendly; two Rhode Island Reds (Donald, who resembled a certain celebrity during her chickhood, and Egg Capone, the rooster); two Black Sex Links (Rosie and Dolores – Black Sex Links are crosses between the Plyms and Rhodes); one Australorp (Lulu); and one white bantam of some sort (Ingrid).
Jaybird installing the rain barrel while the chickens look on.
The picture is a little dark, but Donald wanted to roost on Jaybird’s arm. Egg Capone looked on to make sure everything was ship-shape.
We had to fence them in. Chickens do like to roam, and we did not want them to get hit, bother the neighbors, or get in the way of the people who mow the city property near us. Incidentally, if you are wondering, we did all this with the proper permits and are allowed to have chickens by a fluke of zoning.
The chickens came over to watch me while I was in the garden. There is a small gate and a large gate in their enclosure.
They are very curious.
Finished! For now…
Just before he “flew the coop” (couldn’t resist!) for a tour of duty, Jaybird put down the floor for what will eventually be the greenhouse front for the coop.
The Hen House window and door. Eventually the windows will be supported with chains. My mother-in-law sent us the sign. It adds a touch of class.
There’s is work still to be done. The finishing touches on the windows…the greenhouse front…but then, there always is. Just have to get the greenhouse walls up before fall!
I thought I had more pictures of the garden somewhere…
We constructed an awesome self-watering system. I’ll post about that soon, I promise!
A quick and easy latch – two used nails, some rope, and an old washer.
A general view.